What is Umami?

How we taste is important because taste, not smell, gives you the nutritional information of foods. Carbohydrates and sugars are sweet; minerals are salty and bitter; and proteins, fats and vitamins have no taste (except for Vitamin C). Umami, however, a proposed, yet contentious new taste type, corresponds to a taste for glutamate, a chemical that is derived from the breakdown of proteins. Umami might explain why steaks aged for a long time are tastier than lesser-aged ones.

In general we tend to prefer sweet and salty to sour and bitter, a note that sends a signal to the brain that a food may contain acids or toxins.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Taste & The Nervous System

Can I change my sense of taste?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
Most people believe that their sense of taste represents something that is particularly unique t...
How does my sense of taste change as I age?
When you age, you're usually less sensitive to taste and also to textures like oiliness. A decrease ...
How can I regain my sense of taste?
dotFITdotFIT
That would, most likely, depend upon how you lost your sense of taste in the first place. The sense ...
Is anything wrong if my hypogeusia has no apparent cause?
Hypogeusia is usually the result of allergies, infections, smoking, or dehydration. If you experienc...