What increases my risk for hypogeusia?

Risk factors for hypogeusia include heavy smoking, dehydration, and the use of some prescription drugs. Antibiotics, antihistamines, and some antidepressants, like amitriptyline, are among the drugs that cause hypogeusia as a side effect. Upper respiratory infection and poor dental hygiene can contribute to hypogeusia, too. Exposure to radiation, injuries to the head, and some surgical procedures, such as wisdom tooth removal, can contribute to hypogeusia. Some neurologic disorders, like depression, can contribute to hyopgeusia.

Continue Learning about Taste & The Nervous System

What do I need to know about caring for someone with hypogeusia?
Those with hypogeusia may find eating less enjoyable because of their reduced ability to taste flavo...
How does true hunger affect my sense of taste?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
It is important to experience how much more enjoyable it is to eat when we are truly hungry. Then we...
How can I regain my sense of taste?
dotFITdotFIT
That would, most likely, depend upon how you lost your sense of taste in the first place. The sense ...
How does my sense of taste change as I age?
When you age, you're usually less sensitive to taste and also to textures like oiliness. A decrease ...