How does my sense of taste change as I age?

When you age, you're usually less sensitive to taste and also to textures like oiliness. A decrease in taste can be caused by a decrease in nerves that determine taste or because of things like dry mouth (naturally or as a side effect of medicine), which makes food taste less appealing. So you crave the stronger tastes of more salt and sugar. Remedy: Try more herbs and pepper.
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

International bestselling authors of YOU: The Owner's Manual and YOU: On a Diet give you all the tools and know-how to stay young and defy the ageing process. Drawing lively parallels between your...

Continue Learning about Taste & The Nervous System

Does my sense of taste affect my weight?
Your tongue-related genetics may play a big role in why you're overweight -- or at greater risk for ...
Can I change my sense of taste?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
Most people believe that their sense of taste represents something that is particularly unique t...
How can I train my taste buds to like healthy food?
It takes only about two weeks for your taste buds to learn to like a new food. Therefore, if you are...
Is anything wrong if my hypogeusia has no apparent cause?
Hypogeusia is usually the result of allergies, infections, smoking, or dehydration. If you experienc...