Can the way I perceive taste affect my health?

Your tongue-related genetics may play a big role in why you're overweight—or at greater risk for many diseases. Researchers say about 25 percent of us are supertasters and 25 percent are undertasters, while the rest of us are regular tasters.

If you're a supertaster, you tend not to eat fruits and vegetables because they may taste very bitter. This can put you at a higher risk of certain diseases and a higher risk of polyps because you're not getting the nutrients from fruits and vegetables. This means you should be supplementing your diet with a multivitamin to ensure you're getting the right nutrients, as well as pushing fruits and veggies in combos with other things like in salads and desserts and as moisturizers on breads (tomato sauce works great here).

If you're an undertaster, you may be more prone to eating (and overeating) sweets because it takes more of a taste to satiate you.
YOU: On A Diet Revised Edition: The Owner's Manual for Waist Management

For the first time in our history, scientists are uncovering astounding medical evidence about dieting -- and why so many of us struggle with our weight and the size of our waists. Now researchers...

Continue Learning about Taste & The Nervous System

Is it normal to have an enlarged taste bud on my tongue?
Watch this video to learn more from Dr. Mehmet Oz about taste buds.  
How can I regain my sense of taste?
dotFITdotFIT
That would, most likely, depend upon how you lost your sense of taste in the first place. The sense ...
Is anything wrong if my hypogeusia has no apparent cause?
Hypogeusia is usually the result of allergies, infections, smoking, or dehydration. If you experienc...
How does true hunger affect my sense of taste?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
It is important to experience how much more enjoyable it is to eat when we are truly hungry. Then we...