How does true hunger affect my sense of taste?

Joel H. Fuhrman, MD
Family Medicine
It is important to experience how much more enjoyable it is to eat when we are truly hungry. Then we find that the food tastes much better. This heightened taste sensation that accompanies true hunger gives us terrific feedback to inhibit overeating behavior so we can actually get more pleasure out of our diet. Delaying eating to the point when true hunger is experienced makes even ordinary foods taste great and extraordinary foods taste even better.
Eat for Health: Lose Weight, Keep It Off, Look Younger, Live Longer (2 Volume Set)

Dr. Fuhrman's scientifically proven system, Eat For Health, enables you to finally conquer your cravings and food addictions, while steering your taste buds toward healthier food choices. Medical...

Continue Learning about Taste & The Nervous System

What increases my risk for hypogeusia?
Risk factors for hypogeusia include heavy smoking, dehydration, and the use of some prescription dru...
What are the treatment options for hypogeusia?
Hypogeusia is often temporary and may resolve itself. If your hypogeusia is the result of an infecti...
Can the way I perceive taste affect my health?
Your tongue-related genetics may play a big role in why you're overweight—or at greater risk for man...
How does my sense of taste change as I age?
When you age, you're usually less sensitive to taste and also to textures like oiliness. A decrease ...