How can I train my taste buds to like healthy food?

It takes only about two weeks for your taste buds to learn to like a new food. Therefore, if you are committed to eating in a more healthy way, it does take some willingness to experiment with foods you may not be overjoyed with at first. But with some time (and some nice spices), your new foods can absolutely turn into the ones you love. People who have switched from whole milk to skim milk know this: they go from whole, to half whole and half 2%, to 2%, and then to 1% percent, and then to 1% percent with some skim, and then exclusively to skim. By then, they can’t imagine drinking whole milk again -- just as they could never have imagined drinking skim. They learned to retrain their taste buds. 
This Is Your Do-Over: The 7 Secrets to Losing Weight, Living Longer, and Getting a Second Chance at the Life You Want

From one of America’s most trusted physicians and the bestselling coauthor of the YOU series with Dr. Mehmet Oz—this practical and empowering guide shares the seven secrets to losing weight, restoring peak vitality, and regaining optimal health at any age.No matter whether you’re a stressed-out workaholic, a couch potato, or a marshmallow addict, it’s never too late to get a second chance. You do not have to let genetics or bad choices of the past dictate your health outcomes. In fact, you have the power to change your body—as well as which of your genes are switched on—no matter how you’ve lived in the past.In This Is Your Do-Over, Dr.Michael Roizen, four-time New York Times #1 bestselling author and renowned Chief Wellness Officer of the Cleveland Clinic, provides the tools you need to slam the brakes on bad health and press the gas pedal to good health. In the book, he addresses all the areas that contribute to total-body wellness, including nutrition, exercise, sex, stress, sleep, and the brain. Using concrete strategies that anyone of any age can use, Dr. Roizen shows you how to change your heath destiny with his seven simple secrets to earning a Do-Over. He even shares the key step missing in most other programs: how to select and partner with the proper buddy or coach to get you to your goals. Grounded in cutting-edge scientific research and culled from Dr. Roizen’s experience coaching thousands, This Is Your Do-Over is the ultimate guide to reversing damage, optimizing health, and living a life filled with energy and happiness. It is not too late; your Do-Over starts now.

Continue Learning about Taste & The Nervous System

Is anything wrong if my hypogeusia has no apparent cause?
Hypogeusia is usually the result of allergies, infections, smoking, or dehydration. If you experienc...
What is Umami?
How we taste is important because taste, not smell, gives you the nutritional information of foo...
How does true hunger affect my sense of taste?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
It is important to experience how much more enjoyable it is to eat when we are truly hungry. Then we...
What increases my risk for hypogeusia?
Risk factors for hypogeusia include heavy smoking, dehydration, and the use of some prescription dru...