How do taste preferences develop?

Joel H. Fuhrman, MD
Family Medicine
Our tastes are the result of our bodies adapting to the foods that we eat on a regular basis. Before the advent of refrigeration and global commerce, we could only eat foods that were grown locally.

Notice how people in different regions have different tastes. Are they born with different taste preferences than we are? No, their tastes have simply adapted to the foods in their region. What does the phrase "healthy foods taste bad" really mean? By itself, the phrase means that people have adapted their taste preferences to prefer the unhealthy food they generally eat. However, what if they could change their preferences so that they would not only enjoy, but also prefer the taste of healthy foods? This can happen as you put this program to the test. In the beginning, as you force yourself to eat these healthy foods, you will begin to enjoy them more.

As you sample new recipes, and slowly decrease your intake of processed and other unhealthy foods, you will notice that your taste preferences will change. It's one of the many amazing changes that you will see by making this high nutrient diet an integral part of your lifestyle.
Eat for Health: Lose Weight, Keep It Off, Look Younger, Live Longer (2 Volume Set)

Dr. Fuhrman's scientifically proven system, Eat For Health, enables you to finally conquer your cravings and food addictions, while steering your taste buds toward healthier food choices. Medical...

Continue Learning about Taste & The Nervous System

What are my chances of losing my sense of taste altogether?
Hypogeusia is usually temporary and typically clears up when the underlying cause is treated. Hypoge...
Can hypogeusia have any complications?
Hypogeusia is usually the symptom of an underlying condition. However, it can lead to complications ...
How is sensitivity to taste measured?
Taste sensitivity depends on the number of taste receptors on taste buds and the number of taste bud...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with hypogeusia?
Those with hypogeusia may find eating less enjoyable because of their reduced ability to taste flavo...