Does my sense of taste affect my weight?

Your tongue-related genetics may play a big role in why you're overweight -- or at greater risk for many diseases. Researchers say about 25 percent of us are supertasters and 25 percent are undertasters, while the rest of us are regular tasters.

If you're a supertaster, you tend not to eat fruits and vegetables because they may taste very bitter. This can put you at a higher risk of certain diseases and a higher risk of polyps because you're not getting the nutrients from fruits and vegetables. This means you should be supplementing your diet with a multivitamin to ensure you're getting the right nutrients, as well as pushing fruits and veggies in combos with other things like in salads and desserts and as moisturizers on breads (tomato sauce works great here).

If you're an undertaster, you may be more prone to eating (and overeating) sweets because it takes more of a taste to satiate you.

Continue Learning about Taste & The Nervous System

What medications can change my sense of taste?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Some medications can cause a bitter or metallic taste or affect the ability to taste. Among them...
How can I find out if I'm a supertaster or an undertaster?
Two easy tests can tell you whether you're a supertaster or undertaster. The Saccharin Test: Mix on...
Is anything wrong if my hypogeusia has no apparent cause?
Hypogeusia is usually the result of allergies, infections, smoking, or dehydration. If you experienc...
How can I train my taste buds to like healthy food?
It takes only about two weeks for your taste buds to learn to like a new food. Therefore, if you are...