Can hypogeusia have any complications?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Hypogeusia is usually the symptom of an underlying condition. However, it can lead to complications of its own. Those with hypogeusia may eat too much sugar or salt in an effort to improve the taste of food. This can increase the risk of heart disease, diabetes, and stroke. Those with hypogeusia may be more likely to eat spoiled food or food to which they are allergic because they are incapable of tasting anything wrong with it.

Continue Learning about Taste & The Nervous System

Is it normal to have an enlarged taste bud on my tongue?
Watch this video to learn more from Dr. Mehmet Oz about taste buds.  
Can I change my sense of taste?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
Most people believe that their sense of taste represents something that is particularly unique t...
How does my sense of taste change as I age?
When you age, you're usually less sensitive to taste and also to textures like oiliness. A decrease ...
What are the treatment options for hypogeusia?
Hypogeusia is often temporary and may resolve itself. If your hypogeusia is the result of an infecti...