What is the best way to curb my child's tantrums and meltdowns?

Michele Borba

Here is a simple behavior makeover to stop those annoying kid tantrums and meltdowns:

1. Your best defense is to anticipate its onset before the explosion. Don't wait until our kids are in full meltdown. So watch for your kid's signs that a tantrum is on its way: tension, antsy, a whimper - and then immediately redirect him. "Look at that little boy over there."
   2. Kids use tantrums to get what they want because they've learned it works. Research shows that the more involved you are in trying to lessen a tantrum, the longer it lasts? So never ever give in. No eye contact, no words, do not react.
   3. If you're out in public, stop what you're doing and remove your kid to secluded spot or take him home. Yes, it's inconvenient, but he'll learn you're won't tolerate it

Whatever you try, remember to consistently use the method until you do get the change you want.
The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Tantrums & Toddlers

What are some common triggers for toddlers’ temper tantrums?
Alan Greene, MDAlan Greene, MD
Many of the meltdowns children experience between about 9 and 30 months old arise from the frustrati...
How can I get my child to stop having temper tantrums?
Heather Wittenberg, PhDHeather Wittenberg, PhD
What is really important is that you develop routines for your family that work for you. Every f...
What steps should I take after my child has a temper tantrum?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Temper tantrums—those annoying kid wails and frails and meltdowns—are most common amongst toddlers e...
What Are Some Proven Techniques for Preventing Tantrums?