How are temper tantrums treated?

Here are some suggestions on how to minimize tantrum behavior. Provide positive attention and praise when a child is exhibiting a desired behavior. Create an environment where children are more freely able to explore without the consistent need to say,  “No.”  Provide a child with two acceptable choices, giving them some control.  For example, “It’s time to get dressed for school, do you want to put your shirt on first or your pants?”  Establish routines and structure, children thrive when expectations are predictable. Review with the child expectations of behavior.  Prepare children with a warning prior to a transition. For example, “We have five more minutes and then we will be leaving.”   Provide information to children prior to something new to prepare them so they know what to expect. 

Continue Learning about Tantrums & Toddlers

What are some proven techniques for preventing tantrums?
Being calm and consistent is important in dealing with tantrums. Watch this video to learn other...
What are helpful tips for taming my toddler's frustrations?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Here are my favorite tips for taming the frustrations of toddlers.  Just a word to the wise: they do...
What steps should I take after my child has a temper tantrum?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Temper tantrums—those annoying kid wails and frails and meltdowns—are most common amongst toddlers e...
What Are Some Proven Techniques for Preventing Tantrums?