Why do teen girls sometimes get anemia?

Daphne Oz
Health Education
During your period, especially if you have a heavy flow, you are losing a variety of fluids, including iron-dense blood. If your diet doesn't include adequate amounts of iron, losing a significant amount each month could lead to iron-deficiency anemia. Anemia means that your blood doesn't have enough red blood cells to transport oxygen adequately. This inadequacy could lead you to feel lethargic and tired constantly.
The Dorm Room Diet: The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really Works

The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really WorksThe Dorm Room DietRevised and Updated EditionFiguring out how to eat right and stay healthy on your own can be hard! Here is...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Taking Care of Your Body

As a teen, what happens if I have asthma and smoke?
MDLIVEMDLIVE
You will exacerbate your asthma symptoms and increase your risk of lung infections like pneumonia or...
As a teen, how can I tell if I'm overweight?
During the teen years, your weight and height both increase—and not always at the same pace. One...
How Should I Prepare My Teen for Her First Period?
As a Teen, When Should I First Go to the Gynecologist?