Why are tanning beds bad for my skin?

Tanning beds use fluorescent lights to produce UV radiation, 95 percent of which is UVA, the worst kind for inducing skin cancer. UVA is linked directly to melanoma and nonmelanoma skin cancer. Melanoma is the one that can kill you and likes to invade, going far beyond “skin deep.”
YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Taking Care of Your Body

As a teen, should I worry about testicular cancer?
Ellen Rome, MDEllen Rome, MD
Testicular cancer is more common in teens than you might think. In this video, Drs. Roizen, Rome...
How do most sunless tanning products work?
These products can be self-applied or sprayed on at a tanning salon; the latter allows for more ...
As a Teen, When Should I First Go to the Gynecologist?
How Should I Prepare My Teen for Her First Period?