What supplements treat sore muscles and sprains in teens?

Daphne Oz
Health Education
Playing three varsity sports definitely takes its toll on the body. Taking arnica Montana, a homeopathic remedy for swelling, bruising, minor sprains and strains, and muscle soreness, immediately after an injury really helps through the seasons. Arnica can be taken in pill form dissolved under the tongue (it tastes like sugar) or it can be applied directly as a cream (if the skin is not broken). You can pick up arnica at most pharmacies or health food stores. Follow the directions on the label, as the strength of the product you choose will affect the dosage. For an acute sprain or strain, take 30X potency, as directed. For a chronic problem, take 6X or 9X as directed. Cease after symptoms subside or after two weeks. Also, bromelain (derived from pineapples) is a natural anti-inflammatory. In fact, plastic surgeons have begun to prescribe it to their nose-job patients for a dramatically faster recovery and less noticeable bruising. Even if you don't plan on altering your nose, bromelain can help you heal more quickly from any sort of bruising or inflammation. Take 250 to 500 milligrams (i.e., Twinlab's Mega Bromelain), three times daily, away from meals.
The Dorm Room Diet: The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really Works

The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really WorksThe Dorm Room DietRevised and Updated EditionFiguring out how to eat right and stay healthy on your own can be hard! Here is...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Taking Care of Your Body

At what age should a teen girl like me start breast and pelvic exams?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
A young woman should start routine screening breast exam and pap smears as part of a pelvic exam at ...
For a teen, what are fungi?
Fungi, which are about one hundred times bigger than bacteria, are actually a primitive vegetable; t...
How Should I Prepare My Teen for Her First Period?
As a Teen, When Should I First Go to the Gynecologist?