What supplements should I take for a cold as a teen?

Daphne Oz
Health Education
Just follow this easy recipe and give your immune system the boost it needs to get you over a cold:
  • Vitamin D: 5,000 IU day 1, down to 2,500 until you're recovered. Taking cod liver oil is a great way to get vitamin D, which needs fat to be absorbed (otherwise you just pee it out).
  • Vitamin C: Increase intake from 500 to 1000 milligrams daily.
  • Echinacea (in capsule, tea, or tincture form): As directed on the label. Try Celestial Seasonings' Echinacea Complete Care Tea or Nature's Herbs' Echinacea Power. You can also try echinacea with added goldenseal, for boosted immune power.
  • Elderberry extract (in liquid, tea, or capsule form): Use as directed.
  • Zinc (lozenges): Take with food.
The Dorm Room Diet: The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really Works

The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really WorksThe Dorm Room DietRevised and Updated EditionFiguring out how to eat right and stay healthy on your own can be hard! Here is...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Taking Care of Your Body

Why should I straighten my teeth?
Dante A. Gonzales, DMDDante A. Gonzales, DMD
Most studies show that patients that have undergone orthodontic treatment to correct their bite and ...
As a teen, what should I know about plastic surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
At any age, especially as a teenager consideration of plastic surgery must be made with a thoughtful...
How Should I Prepare My Teen for Her First Period?
As a Teen, When Should I First Go to the Gynecologist?