What side effects can steroids cause?

Steroids are synthetic hormones that mimic androgens produced in the body. Testosterone in particular can cause the most severe side effects, especially when abused or used incorrectly. In men, these can include increased acne, increased LDL (bad) and decreased HDL (good) cholesterol, increased risk of cardiovascular disease, increased soft breast tissue in men; temporary testicle shrinkage due to bodies shut down of testosterone and accelerated baldness for men who are genetically predisposed. For women, side effects include increased body hair, a permanent deepening of the voice, an enlarged clitoris and disruption of menstrual cycles.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Taking Care of Your Body

As a teen, what is the difference between bacterial infections and viruses?
The way many people distinguish between bacteria and viruses is that bacteria respond to antibio...
As a teen, how can I tell if I'm overweight?
During the teen years, your weight and height both increase—and not always at the same pace. One...
How Should I Prepare My Teen for Her First Period?
As a Teen, When Should I First Go to the Gynecologist?