What are safe amounts of caffeine for teens?

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that adolescents should not consume more than 100 mg of caffeine a day (adults 300-400 mg). Young children shouldn't drink caffeinated beverages on a regular basis.

To put this caffeine thing into perspective, a Grande coffee from Starbucks has about 330 mg of caffeine. A bottle of 5-Hour Energy has 208 mg compared to a soft drink that has 50 mg. Parents should be aware of the amount of caffeine in the products their teens are consuming. Remember it's recommended that adult consumption be between 300-400 mg (that's equivalent to 3-4 cups of coffee) and teens be around 100 mg. Where does your teen's intake stack up?

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Taking Care of Your Body

How does pollution affect teen health?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
The harsh environment to which we are exposed damages our bodies in ways you might not be able t...
As a teen, why can't I take antibiotics for a viral infection?
The vast majority of viruses do run their course and exit your body via the portholes most associate...
As a Teen, When Should I First Go to the Gynecologist?
How Should I Prepare My Teen for Her First Period?