What should I do to make sure my bones stay strong as a teen?

Dr. Robin Miller, MD

It is important that you get plenty of calcium and vitamin D to keep your bones strong.  Exercise that pounds the bones such as running and weight lifting is also important. Many teens drink a lot of soda instead of milk.  Soda can wash the calcium out of your bones. Smoking can also weaken your bones. 

In addition to having healthy eating habits it is important to get calcium from your diet either through milk products, dark green leafy vegetables, soy, beans or canned fish such as salmon with the bones. 

If you cannot get calcium in your diet, you should consider taking supplements.  Teens require about 1300 mgs a day. Vitamin D is absorbed from the sun through the skin, but if you wear sunscreen you may need a supplement.  Most teens need at least 800 IU’s a day.

Vitamin D, calcium and weight bearing exercise are the keys to healthy bones.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Taking Care of Your Body

As a teen, what should I know about plastic surgery?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
At any age, especially as a teenager consideration of plastic surgery must be made with a thoughtful...
As a teen, what are the different types of tears?
We have several kinds of tears. Basal tears are produced continuously to keep our eyes moist and lub...
How Should I Prepare My Teen for Her First Period?
As a Teen, When Should I First Go to the Gynecologist?