As a teen, why do I see an adolescent medicine specialist?

Dr. Elif E. Oker, MD
Medical Toxicology
An adolescent medicine specialist is a physician who has an interest and additional training in taking care of issues unique to teens. These may include gynecology services, information on contraception, counseling on drug/alcohol use/abuse in addition to the usual services in a doctor's office.
Often teens prefer to see adolescent medicine specialists as an alternative to their pediatricians because pediatric offices tend to be filled with very young children.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Taking Care of Your Body

As a teen, what could be causing my back pain?
You might not think it, but back pain is actually common in adolescents. There are different causes ...
How can I measure my bra size?
To measure yourself for a bra, you need a measuring tape and a mirror.You can do without the mirror,...
As a Teen, When Should I First Go to the Gynecologist?
How Should I Prepare My Teen for Her First Period?