As a teen, what should I know about the signs of the herpes simplex virus?

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health
There are several strains of herpes simplex virus but by far the most common strains are called Type 1 and Type 2. We are always learning new things about these viruses. In general Herpes Type 1 virus tends to live in the nerve cells of the lips, mouth, and surrounding skin. Herpes Type 2 virus almost always lives in the genital tract, the vagina and surrounding labia (lips) in a woman and the penis and scrotum (balls) in a man.
The symptoms caused by the virus can be very mild to very severe. There is usually a blister-like sore and redness on the skin. There may be clusters of blisters. These are very sore. There may also be a general sort of sick feeling with muscle aches and tiredness and fever. The lymph glands near the blisters may be swollen. The symptoms, if untreated, usually go away in 7 to 10 days. There are oral tablets that can be used to make the symptoms go away more quickly. You need a prescription from your health care provider for these tablets.
These viruses are very common in the population and are spread from one person to another by touching or “intimate contact.” This means the skin of the person who has the virus touches the particular area of skin of the person who then catches the virus.
When a person has an active blister, the person is the most contagious but the virus can also be spread even when there isn’t a blister present.  The best ways to avoid spreading or catching the virus is to not touch active blisters as in kissing or having sex. Using condoms for sex reduces the risk of spreading the virus.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Taking Care of Your Body

As a teen, what can I do about my canker sores?
Ellen Rome, MDEllen Rome, MD
Canker sores can be painful and bothersome. In this video, Dr. Rome and Dr. Oz offer a mouthwash...
As a teen, does smoking help me keep weight off?
Contrary to what some people believe, cigarettes do not speed up metabolism. But they do not help yo...
How Should I Prepare My Teen for Her First Period?
As a Teen, When Should I First Go to the Gynecologist?