As a teen, what are the different types of tears?

We have several kinds of tears. Basal tears are produced continuously to keep our eyes moist and lubricated and to prevent damage by wind, dust, dirt, and so forth. Irritant tears are produced not when your little brother is really bugging you but when the eyes are stung by wind, sand, insects, rocks, or other foreign bodies. Both basal tears and irritant tears have the same goal: to protect your eyes.

Emotional tears come out during moments of intense feelings: sometimes joy, but more often sorrow. Unlike basal tears and irritant tears, they carry stress hormones as a way of getting rid of them.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Taking Care of Your Body

How does smoking affect teen health?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
In addition to decaying, mottled insides, smokers can look forward to premature aging, wrinkles,...
As a teen, what can I do about my canker sores?
Ellen Rome, MDEllen Rome, MD
Canker sores can be painful and bothersome. In this video, Dr. Rome and Dr. Oz offer a mouthwash...
How Should I Prepare My Teen for Her First Period?
As a Teen, When Should I First Go to the Gynecologist?