As a teen, what are the different types of tears?

We have several kinds of tears. Basal tears are produced continuously to keep our eyes moist and lubricated and to prevent damage by wind, dust, dirt, and so forth. Irritant tears are produced not when your little brother is really bugging you but when the eyes are stung by wind, sand, insects, rocks, or other foreign bodies. Both basal tears and irritant tears have the same goal: to protect your eyes.

Emotional tears come out during moments of intense feelings: sometimes joy, but more often sorrow. Unlike basal tears and irritant tears, they carry stress hormones as a way of getting rid of them.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Taking Care of Your Body

As a teen, how can I gain weight if I'm too skinny?
The teenage years can be brutal with regards to self-image and weight issues. If you are truly u...
How addictive is using pot for teens?
Claire WelchClaire Welch
The National Institute On Drug Abuse (NIDA), which is dedicated to the science of drug abuse and add...
As a Teen, When Should I First Go to the Gynecologist?
How Should I Prepare My Teen for Her First Period?