For a teen, what are fungi?

Fungi, which are about one hundred times bigger than bacteria, are actually a primitive vegetable; they’re small plants without chlorophyll that can’t make their own food but can get it from other organisms, like your toenails. Some fungi we eat, like mushrooms and yeast in bread. And since their natural enemies are bacteria, they naturally produce antibiotics like penicillin that we can take to protect ourselves. But some can also cause ailments such as athlete’s foot and vaginal infections, both of which can be treated with medication that kills the infection-causing fungus.

YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Taking Care of Your Body

As a teen, does smoking help me keep weight off?
Contrary to what some people believe, cigarettes do not speed up metabolism. But they do not help yo...
What are some risks of tanning as a teenager?
Claire WelchClaire Welch
As a school nurse in a high school, I have seen teenagers prepare themselves for prom and graduation...
As a Teen, When Should I First Go to the Gynecologist?
How Should I Prepare My Teen for Her First Period?