As a teen, why can't I take antibiotics for a viral infection?

The vast majority of viruses do run their course and exit your body via the portholes most associated with blowing, sneezing, and coughing. Most antibiotics--when taken for viral infection--can actually have a negative effect. What happens is they kill off the good, commensal bacteria that keep the bad bacteria in check, so you actually end up more vulnerable to bacterial infection in the end. While it may have some sort of placebo effect by making you feel better, it’s actually not helping you--and may even harm you, unless you get a bacterial infection on top of your viral one.

YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Taking Care of Your Body

What supplements treat sore muscles and sprains in teens?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
Playing three varsity sports definitely takes its toll on the body. Taking arnica Montana, a hom...
As a teen, what should I know about the signs of the herpes simplex virus?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
There are several strains of herpes simplex virus but by far the most common strains are called Type...
How Should I Prepare My Teen for Her First Period?
As a Teen, When Should I First Go to the Gynecologist?