As a teen, does smoking help me keep weight off?

Contrary to what some people believe, cigarettes do not speed up metabolism. But they do not help you lose weight because you cannot taste food. When you eventually try to quit, you will run the risk of gaining weight as many people substitute food for cigarettes and end up eating more than their energy needs would demand.

YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Taking Care of Your Body

What should I do to keep my skin clean and healthy?
Soap and water are important, yes, but there’s a little more to cleansing your face than using t...
What should teens know about caffeine?
Raychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPCRaychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPC
According to the National Coffee Association, youth under the legal drinking age are one of the fast...
As a Teen, When Should I First Go to the Gynecologist?
How Should I Prepare My Teen for Her First Period?