How can teenagers get enough sleep?

Here are a few tips to help get started:
  • Identify a bedtime that allows at least 8 hours of sleep. This should be consistent each night.
  • Make it a goal to be in bed with the lights out by bedtime each night.
  • Set a bedtime alarm as a reminder that it is time to get ready for bed.
  • Power down at least 30 minutes before bedtime by turning off phones, computers, tablets and TVs.
  • Silence cell phone notifications and keep the phone away from the bed at night.
Let sleep recharge you every night. When your body is fully recharged by sleep, you will think more clearly and feel energized.

This content originally appeared on the American Academy of Sleep Medicine website.
Sleep management is really about time management. If you chronically have homework that keeps you up until midnight, but you have at least one unused study hall, find a quiet room to get even twenty to thirty minutes of something done during your free time, so that you can get to bed at a
more reasonable hour. Plan your time so that you do the task that only takes twenty to thirty minutes in that time, rather than trying to cram the project that will take two hours in a wrong-timed slot. Find someone really organized, and have him or her help you work out a master schedule for yourself, where you build in some down time as a reward for getting the other stuff done.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Taking Care of Your Body

What should teens know about caffeine?
Raychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPCRaychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPC
According to the National Coffee Association, youth under the legal drinking age are one of the fast...
As a teen, how can I increase my serotonin levels?
Exercise may cause a release of natural opioids, other feel-good hormones.Skipping meals, missing fo...
As a Teen, When Should I First Go to the Gynecologist?
How Should I Prepare My Teen for Her First Period?