How can putting an antibiotic medicine on teen skin clear up acne?

Teenage acne is a dermatologic condition in which the pores become clogged with excess production of oil due to hormonal changes in puberty. When this happens, bacteria on the skin can also become trapped causing a localized infection which causes the pimple to grow and sometimes become a pus-filled whitehead. Antibiotics are but one tool in treating acne -- they kill the bacteria reducing the frequency and severity of the acne.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Taking Care of Your Body

As a teen, what should I do about a bad sunburn?
Ellen Rome, MDEllen Rome, MD
A bad sunburn can severely damage the skin. In this video, Dr. Oz and Dr. Rome explain the recov...
As a teen girl, what should I know about Pap smears?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
A Pap smear is a test that looks for changes in the cells of the cervix that, if left untreated, cou...
How Should I Prepare My Teen for Her First Period?
As a Teen, When Should I First Go to the Gynecologist?