As a teen, what is the best way to avoid getting colds?

Bribes, high-fives, and love notes aren’t the only things that pass from hand to hand. Germs do, too. Stop a second and think about how many things you touch that other people have touched immediately before you: sink faucets, door handles, gas pumps, money machines, railings, other people’s phones or hands, the cash register tape, and your sandwich. It’s the most common way that infections can be passed: You touch someone or something, then your hand touches your mouth, nose, or eye. Turns out that the typical American touches his face with his hands more than fifty times an hour. The best thing you can do to prevent spreading (and receiving) germs is to wash your hands regularly. Soap and water will separate bacteria from your hands, and keep them from entering your system the next time you touch your mouth or nose. In times when sinks are hard to come by, it’s a good idea to stash some antibacterial gel with you. Rub in a dime-sized squirt to kill bacteria. Also, make sure to cough and sneeze into the crook of your elbow, not your hands--that way, the germs won’t spread when you touch something afterward. Next on the list is to manage stress, get great sleep, eat healthfully, exercise regularly, and enjoy chicken soup.

YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Taking Care of Your Body

Why is the rate of teen obesity rising?
Claire WelchClaire Welch
Your question addresses the fact that teen obesity is rising. The United States (US) Department of H...
When should teens get the flu shot?
Diana K. Blythe, MDDiana K. Blythe, MD
Teens should get the flu shot because they are at higher risk for getting the flu. One reason is tha...
How Should I Prepare My Teen for Her First Period?
As a Teen, When Should I First Go to the Gynecologist?