How does smoking affect teen health?

Daphne Oz
Health Education
In addition to decaying, mottled insides, smokers can look forward to premature aging, wrinkles, sallow skin, brown teeth, and bad breath -- there for all the world to see and smell every day of your life. Let's face it: being a smoker today is inconvenient, to say the least. In the United States, legislation makes it impossible for you to smoke indoors in most places. And being dependent on tobacco can really cramp your style, not to mention your budget. (At nearly $10 a pack, who wants that avoidable expense?) Once you are addicted to the nicotine in cigarettes, it's extremely difficult to quit. If you don't have your nicotine fix you'll feel cranky, have a headache, and basically get a self-induced form of a head cold. People have been able to quit, but there is no easy way and those who do succeed have to endure weeks, if not months, of suffering to get over a self-imposed, debilitating habit. I'm sure you've heard all the smoking cons before, but I'm having a really hard time trying to think of a pro list. It could be because there aren't any pros.
The Dorm Room Diet: The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really Works

The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really WorksThe Dorm Room DietRevised and Updated EditionFiguring out how to eat right and stay healthy on your own can be hard! Here is...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Taking Care of Your Body

How can I keep from getting athlete's foot as a teenager?
Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RNKaren L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN
Proper care of your feet is important in preventing athlete's foot. You should do the following to p...
As a teen, how can I fall asleep faster?
Try one of these recommended remedies:• Rub a little lavender essential oil into your skin.• Drink s...
As a Teen, When Should I First Go to the Gynecologist?
How Should I Prepare My Teen for Her First Period?