How can I measure my bra size?

To measure yourself for a bra, you need a measuring tape and a mirror.
You can do without the mirror, but it can be a bit awkward. Measure yourself around your chest, just underneath your breasts. Take that number and add five inches--that gives you your band size. If the total number is an odd number, round up to the next even number. For instance, if your under-breast measurement is 32, you add 5 inches, making it 37, then round up to the next even number, which makes it a 38. Next measure around the biggest part of your breasts, usually over the nipple line. Here’s where the mirror comes in handy; you can use it to make sure that the tape measure stays level all the way around from front to back and around again to meet in front. To find your cup size, subtract your band measurement from your bust measurement. Then refer to the list below to determine which cup size you are.

• If difference between bust and band size is less than 1 inch: cup size is AA
• If difference between bust and band size is 1 inch: cup size is A
• If difference between bust and band size is 2 inches: cup size is B
• If difference between bust and band size is 3 inches: cup size is C
• If difference between bust and band size is 4 inches: cup size is D
• If difference between bust and band size is 5 inches: cup size is DD (or E)
• If difference between bust and band size is 6 inches: cup size is DDD (or F)
• If difference between bust and band size is 7 inches: cup size is DDDD (or G)

If all else fails, you can simply try on a bunch of bras and make sure that your breasts are not overflowing out the sides or top in a way that makes it them look funny; if that is the case, try a size up. Alternately, if your breasts aren’t filling up the cups, go down one size. Cups and bras come in different shapes, so sometimes it is trial and error to make sure you get a brand and style that fits.
YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Taking Care of Your Body

How can being overweight affect my health as a teen?
Being overweight as a teen can harm your health both now and in the future. Increasing numbers o...
As a teen, what is the best way to avoid getting colds?
Bribes, high-fives, and love notes aren’t the only things that pass from hand to hand. Germs do, too...
How Should I Prepare My Teen for Her First Period?
As a Teen, When Should I First Go to the Gynecologist?