As a teen, should I douche?

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health
It is not recommended than any woman should douche. Douching is rinsing out the inside of the vagina with either a liquid purchased for this purpose or a mixture made up at home. Women sometimes believe that douching makes them cleaner. In fact, introducing any chemical, even something as simple as vinegar and water, without the guidance of your health care provider, can change the very delicate balance of a healthy vagina and cause problems.
To be clean, simply wash your outside labia the way you would any part of your body. Use warm water on the inside labia and avoid getting foreign chemicals, including soap, inside the vagina.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Taking Care of Your Body

What supplements treat sore muscles and sprains in teens?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
Playing three varsity sports definitely takes its toll on the body. Taking arnica Montana, a hom...
As a teen, what kind of doctor does breast and pelvic exams?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
You may obtain a breast exam and pelvic exam from any of several health care providers. If you regul...
As a Teen, When Should I First Go to the Gynecologist?
How Should I Prepare My Teen for Her First Period?