As a teen, should I douche?

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health
It is not recommended than any woman should douche. Douching is rinsing out the inside of the vagina with either a liquid purchased for this purpose or a mixture made up at home. Women sometimes believe that douching makes them cleaner. In fact, introducing any chemical, even something as simple as vinegar and water, without the guidance of your health care provider, can change the very delicate balance of a healthy vagina and cause problems.
To be clean, simply wash your outside labia the way you would any part of your body. Use warm water on the inside labia and avoid getting foreign chemicals, including soap, inside the vagina.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Taking Care of Your Body

How can I reduce menstrual cramps while at college?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
You can do the following things to reduce cramping: Avoid caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine. These s...
What can my uncircumcised teen do to have good hygiene?
Ellen Rome, MDEllen Rome, MD
Teen boys who are uncircumcised need to be vigilant about keeping their clean. In this video, Dr...
How Should I Prepare My Teen for Her First Period?
As a Teen, When Should I First Go to the Gynecologist?