As a teen, how can I take care of myself without being selfish?

Gina M. Biegel
Taking care of yourself is different from being selfish. Selfish people think only of themselves and aren’t concerned about others. When you take care of your mind and body, you are not being selfish; you are helping yourself function happily and successfully in daily life. By caring for yourself, you are making it possible for you to be there for others.

Here are some tips to help take good care of yourself:
  • Practice mindfulness and relaxation techniques.
  • Set realistic goals for yourself.
  • Say kind things to yourself.
  • Eat healthy foods.
  • Get enough sleep.
  • Exercise.
  • Turn your negative thoughts to positive ones.
  • Have compassion for yourself.
  • Ask for help when you need it.
The Stress Reduction Workbook for Teens: Mindfulness Skills to Help You Deal with Stress (Instant Help Solutions)

First, the bad news: your teenage years are some of the most stressful of your life. Up to 70 percent of teens say they're stressed out, and with pressure about grades at school, parents who just...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Taking Care of Your Body

As a teen, what is the right way to breathe?
Remember what makes the lungs move most? Your diaphragm. That’s the muscle that pulls down to give...
As a teen, how can I get whiter teeth?
Here's a rundown on your options:In-office whitening: Fastest and strongest effects, up to ten s...
How Should I Prepare My Teen for Her First Period?
As a Teen, When Should I First Go to the Gynecologist?