As a teen, how can I get whiter teeth?

Here's a rundown on your options:

• In-office whitening: Fastest and strongest effects, up to ten shades lighter, but costs $500 to $1,200.
  • Brush-ons: Best over-the-counter method. You can see results four shades lighter. These brighten the back teeth better than the strips do.
  • Strips: You can get four to six shades lighter, but only on the front six teeth.
  • Tray and gels (in-office or OTC): It's an older technology and has potential for gum irritation, so it's best to do with a doc. At home, the temptation is to abuse it, which can lead to tooth sensitivity.
  • Whitening toothpastes: An everyday experience, these toothpastes remove stains from teeth by polishing or chemical removal.
  • The ideal combo: If you can afford it, use an in-office whitening, then follow up with brush-ons and toothpastes at home.
Studies have shown that repetitive whitening (using safe, low concentrations of the active ingredients) gives longer-lasting results. Just be sure not to repeat more than once every two weeks, or you'll thin the enamel. Home whitening strips don't appear to harm enamel.
YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Taking Care of Your Body

How can I treat sprains and bruises with essential oils if I'm a teen?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
You can use aromatherapy essential oils in compresses for muscle sprains or bruises. Simply soak...
How much sunscreen should I put on?
You really need 1 to 2 ounces of sunscreen (about the size of an egg or a Ping-Pong ball) to cover y...
How Should I Prepare My Teen for Her First Period?
As a Teen, When Should I First Go to the Gynecologist?