As a teen, what could be causing my back pain?

You might not think it, but back pain is actually common in adolescents. There are different causes of back pain, but a muscle spasm--which can leave you gasping for breath or be a dull ache that won’t let up--is the most common kind. In a spasm, the paraspinal muscles around your backbone can tense up. Poor posture can be one of the culprits. To remedy this, whenever possible, suck in your stomach and butt muscles at the same time. You need abdominal muscle strength to protect your back. This tends to straighten your spine--and, as a bonus, can help you build that washboard stomach. Other causes of back pain include switching from high-heeled to low-heeled shoes or vice versa, wearing shoes that don’t fit, doing lots of heavy lifting, sleeping on a bad mattress or bed, and being overweight, for the simple reason that it’s harder on your spine to carry around more weight.

YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Taking Care of Your Body

What supplements relieve menstrual cramps in teens?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
The following supplements can help relieve menstrual pain: Always take your calcium. Calcium relax...
As a teen, how can I fall asleep faster?
Try one of these recommended remedies:• Rub a little lavender essential oil into your skin.• Drink s...
How Should I Prepare My Teen for Her First Period?
As a Teen, When Should I First Go to the Gynecologist?