What are the symptoms of dysentery?

Symptoms of dysentery, also known as infectious diarrhea, include diarrhea with blood, abdominal pain, fever and rectal tenesmus (the feeling of incomplete defecation). Depending on the organism causing the dysentery there can also be mucus in the stool, and people can lose a lot of fluid. With these severe forms, hospitalization is usually required.

Severe diarrhea that often includes blood, pus or mucus in the feces is the chief symptom of dysentery. The most common initial symptom is a fever followed by intestinal cramps and then frequent, intense diarrhea that can cause rectal pain. Children can develop a high fever and serious complications such as dehydration.

Continue Learning about Symptoms Of Bacterial Infections

What are the symptoms of Elizabethkingia?
An Elizabethkingia infection usually causes severe symptoms and makes people feel very sick. The sym...
Should I tell my child's school about their dysentery?
If your child has symptoms of dysentery, you need to inform their school. Dysentery is a potentially...
Should I be worried about getting toxic shock syndrome?
If you take precautions to avoid the risks for toxic shock syndrome, there is no reason to worry gre...
Does listeriosis have any complications?
When older children or adults get listeriosis, there are a few different complications that can occu...