What are the symptoms of diphtheria?

Diptheria produces a thick membrane over the back of the throat. It can eventually lead to breathing issues, paralysis, heart failure or death. 

A dense, gray coating in the back of the throat, which acts as an artificial membrane, is the trademark symptom of diphtheria. As the disease progresses, the coating may separate from the back of the throat, barricading the air passages and preventing any air from reaching the lungs. Other symptoms include a sore throat, an overall feeling of weakness, fever and shivers, swollen glands, difficulty breathing, increased heart rate, nausea, vomiting, and throbbing in the head.

Continue Learning about Symptoms Of Bacterial Infections

What are the symptoms of Elizabethkingia?
An Elizabethkingia infection usually causes severe symptoms and makes people feel very sick. The sym...
Should I talk to a doctor if I have symptoms of typhoid fever?
You should definitely talk to your doctor right away if you have any symptoms of typhoid fever. This...
What is Whipple's disease?
Whipple's disease is a multi-system, infectious, bacterial disease that interferes with the body's a...
What are the symptoms of flesh-eating bacteria?
The symptoms of flesh-eating bacteria include worsening swelling and pain, redness at the place of i...