Is cellulitis serious?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Most cases of cellulitis are mild, and patients feel only slightly ill. However, it is important to see your doctor if you have any symptoms of cellulitis, as there are a number of rare, but potentially life-threatening, complications, especially for those with immune system problems. If the bacteria spread deeper than the skin, infections of the bone (osteomyelitis) or blood (bacteremia), inflammation of the lymph vessels (lymphangitis) or heart (endocarditis), shock, or meningitis could occur. Gangrene, or dead tissue, is also a possibility if the infection is not treated properly.

Continue Learning about Symptoms Of Bacterial Infections

Should I talk to my doctor about my bacterial infection symptoms?
Always talk to your doctor if you are experiencing symptoms that may be an indication of a bacterial...
Should I talk to my doctor about my cholera symptoms?
If you have recently traveled to or are still in a country where cholera is common and you start to ...
How can I tell if my cat carries the bacteria for cat scratch disease?
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, about 40 percent of all cats carry t...
What are the symptoms of a bacterial oral infection?
Many illnesses and conditions may cause a bacterial oral infection, which means symptoms vary. Any c...