How do other illnesses affect bacterial oral infections?

In health, the bacteria in the mouth are kept in balance. Whenever there is a systemic disease, this balance is liable to be disrupted, allowing for certain bacteria to overgrow.  When this occurs, the bacteria are ready to enter the underlying tissues when they are traumatized by everyday oral functions such as eating. In addition, other illnesses may change the oral sugar levels and decrease salivary flow; both favoring a bacterial infection. 

Rather than being a standalone illness, bacterial oral infection is a symptom or defining trait of multiple conditions. For example, periodontis is one form of bacterial oral infection in which bacteria invades the pockets between teeth and gums. Strep throat is another bacterial oral infection in which bacteria causes a sore and scratchy throat. Additionally, strep throat can lead to a more serious bacterial oral infection - scarlet fever.

Continue Learning about Symptoms Of Bacterial Infections

How common is toxic shock syndrome?
Toxic shock syndrome is a rare, yet potentially fatal condition. In the past, it was most common...
Should I talk to my doctor about my toxic shock syndrome symptoms?
You should seek medical help immediately if you suspect you may have toxic shock syndrome. Do not tr...
What are the symptoms of dysentery?
Symptoms of dysentery, also known as infectious diarrhea, include diarrhea with blood, abdominal pai...
What are the symptoms of Elizabethkingia?
An Elizabethkingia infection usually causes severe symptoms and makes people feel very sick. The sym...