How common is cat scratch disease?

Cat scratch disease (CSD) is very common, with over 22,000 cases reported in the United States each year. Ninety percent of those cases were the result of direct contact with a cat and are usually caused by sort of cat scratch or bite. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, 40% of cats carry the bacteria, Bartonella henselae, which causes CSD. Have your cat examined by a veterinarian if you suspect your cat may be infected with Bartonella henselae.

Continue Learning about Symptoms Of Bacterial Infections

How common is toxic shock syndrome?
Toxic shock syndrome is a rare, yet potentially fatal condition. In the past, it was most common...
How can I tell if my cat carries the bacteria for cat scratch disease?
According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, about 40 percent of all cats carry t...
Does listeriosis have any complications?
When older children or adults get listeriosis, there are a few different complications that can occu...
What are the symptoms of Elizabethkingia?
An Elizabethkingia infection usually causes severe symptoms and makes people feel very sick. The sym...