Does listeriosis have any complications?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

When older children or adults get listeriosis, there are a few different complications that can occur if the infection takes hold and is not promptly treated with antibiotics. One complication is that the infection can spread to the blood (septicemia). Because your blood travels throughout your body, blood contamination can cause the infection to spread to multiple organs. If the infection spreads to the brain, it can cause the area around the brain to inflame, causing meningitis. Both of these complications are serious and must be treated promptly at a hospital.

If a pregnant mother gets listeriosis, even if her own symptoms aren't severe, it can result in severe complications for her pregnancy, including stillbirth, miscarriage, and developmental difficulties for the infant.

Continue Learning about Symptoms Of Bacterial Infections

Should I talk to my doctor about my bacterial infection symptoms?
Always talk to your doctor if you are experiencing symptoms that may be an indication of a bacterial...
What are the symptoms of bacterial infections?
The symptoms of bacterial infections that people experience vary depending on the type of infection....
What are the symptoms of cholera?
Common symptoms of cholera are mild diarrhea and nausea. These symptoms begin a few days after a per...
What are the complications of subdural empyema?
Subdural empyema is a serious condition that can spread quickly if left untreated. Possible complica...