Can flesh-eating bacteria have any complications?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

The necrotizing fasciitis caused by flesh-eating bacteria can have very serious complications. The infection spreads very quickly and causes more and more extensive tissue damage until it is treated. Since surgically removing dead tissue from the infection is part of treatment, the more extensive damage is, the more that will have to be removed; extensive scarring, disfigurement, or amputation of arms or legs may be necessary. Due to the severe nature of a flesh-eating bacteria infection, it may be fatal.

Continue Learning about Symptoms Of Bacterial Infections

Should I talk to my doctor about my cat scratch disease symptoms?
Cat scratch disease (CSD) is not a very serious infection and can heal on its own with time. Lymph n...
Does diphtheria affect children differently than adults?
Diphtheria does not discriminate. It affects children and adults in the same manner. They exhibi...
What are the symptoms of epidemic typhus?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Symptoms of epidemic typhus typically include loss of appetite, headache, a rapid rise in temperatur...
What are the symptoms of toxic shock syndrome?
A person experiencing toxic shock syndrome may develop a drop in blood pressure, a high fever, diarr...