When should I get the seasonal flu shot and H1N1 vaccine?

You should get the seasonal flu shot as soon as it's available. It will protect against two strains of influenza as well as the H1N1 virus.

After you get the vaccine, it may take two weeks for your body to build up antibodies to the virus. Flu season can start as early as October, so the sooner you get the vaccine, the better, although since flu season can last until May, getting the vaccine in December or even later may still protect you from infection. If you're currently sick with any illness, your doctor may recommend that you wait until you're well to be vaccinated.

Continue Learning about H1N1 (Swine Flu)

What steps should I take to prevent the spread of H1N1 flu?
To prevent the spread of H1N1, or swine flu, take these steps:Get a flu shot.Cough or sneeze into ...
Who is at risk for complications from the H1N1 flu?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Pregnant women appear to be at risk for serious complications from the H1N1 virus. In addition, peop...
How long does swine flu last?
The symptoms of swine flu (H1N1), including fever, chills, cough, and body aches, last about eight d...
If I think I have H1N1 flu, what should I do?
Lisa M. Owens, MDLisa M. Owens, MD
Do not go to work or school. The CDC recommends that workers stay home for at least 24 hours after ...