What are the treatment options for swine flu?

In most cases, the treatment for swine flu (H1N1 flu) is simple: rest and fluids. This may take several days, and medications can be used to treat specific symptoms during this time. For example, decongestants can be used for nasal congestion while acetaminophen and ibuprofen may be used for fever and aches.

In some cases, your doctor may prescribe an antiviral medication to help shorten the length of time you experience swine flu symptoms, and help you avoid complications such as pneumonia.

Continue Learning about H1N1 (Swine Flu)

Can I get the LAIV while taking antiviral medications?
You shouldn't get the live attenuated influenza vaccine (LAIV), also known as the nasal spray va...
If I think my child has had H1N1 flu, will he still need the vaccine?
Doctors recommend getting a flu vaccine every year because the viruses that cause influenza are ...
How many people die from the H1N1 virus and the seasonal flu?
The H1N1 pandemic that struck in April 2009 was the first global flu pandemic in 40 years. While...
What increases my risk for swine flu (H1N1)?
Young children, those who are pregnant, people over 50, and caregivers are at an increased risk of g...