Should I talk to my doctor about my swine flu symptoms?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

If you are not in one of the risk groups, and are experiencing the symptoms of swine flu (H1N1), you may not need to talk to your doctor. However, if you begin to experience symptoms of pneumonia, see your doctor right away, as this is a serious complication that can arise from swine flu. These symptoms include a severe cough, high fever, breathing problems, and pain when you take a breath. In addition, if you experience dizziness, pain in the chest or abdomen, or other alarming symptoms, see your doctor.

If you are in one of the risk groups for developing complications such as pneumonia - young children, pregnant women, those with chronic diseases, and other groups - you should see your doctor immediately.

You should talk to your doctor about your swine flu symptoms, or any flu symptoms, as soon as possible. He or she can advise you about the best ways to feel better. If you've only had symptoms for a day or two, the doctor may even prescribe an antiviral medication that could shorten the duration of your flu and make your symptoms milder.

Also, certain symptoms may indicate complications from swine flu that could be serious or even life threatening. Always call your doctor if you're having trouble breathing or feel confused.

Continue Learning about H1N1 (Swine Flu)

How long does swine flu last?
The symptoms of swine flu (H1N1), including fever, chills, cough, and body aches, last about eight d...
What are the symptoms of swine flu?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
"Swine flu" is the original name of the H1N1 flu, which is a mix of swine, avian and human influenza...
What is the best protection against infuenza?
 Influenza usually goes away on its own after about eight days. In some cases, antiviral drugs can...
How do I manage my swine flu on a daily basis?
The most important thing you can do to manage your swine flu (H1N1) is to rest and drink fluids. You...