How can I protect others if I have swine flu?

The best way to protect yourself and other people from the H1N1 virus (also called swine flu) is to get the seasonal flu vaccine. Each year, researchers determine which three strains of influenza are likely to be the most common in the coming flu season, and include these viruses in the flu vaccine. Ever since the 2009 H1N1 pandemic (originally referred to as the swine flu pandemic), the vaccine available in the U.S. and the whole of the northern hemisphere has included the H1N1 strain.

Beyond getting a flu shot, experts recommend protecting others by:
  • washing your hands frequently with soap and water
  • using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer when soap and water are not available
  • staying home if you are sick and until you have been fever-free for 24 hours
  • sneezing or coughing into a tissue, throwing it away, and washing your hands afterward

Continue Learning about H1N1 (Swine Flu)

Is there a vaccine for swine flu?
The vaccine for swine flu (H1N1) is now incorporated into the regular flu vaccine. If you get a fl...
What is swine flu?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
"Swine flu" is the original name given to the flu virus that began circulating the world in 2009. Th...
Can I get sick after receiving a seasonal flu shot or H1N1 vaccine?
The seasonal flu shot and the H1N1 vaccine are one and the same any year that the H1N1 virus is ...
What over-the-counter medications can I take for my swine flu symptoms?
Over-the-counter (OTC) medications can be used to treat specific symptoms of swine flu (H1N1). For e...