What pain reliever should I use for my swine flu symptoms?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Over-the-counter pain relieving medications are often used to relieve the fever, aches, and other pain associated with swine flu (H1N1). Adults may use ibuprofen, acetaminophen, naproxen or aspirin, as long as dosage recommendations as directed on the package are followed. Be sure to read any warnings on the packaging as well. Children, however, should not take aspirin as it may be connected to a serious condition known as Reye's syndrome.

The American Academy of Family Physicians recommends ibuprofen, acetaminophen or naproxen to help relieve pain and body aches brought on by swine flu.

Continue Learning about H1N1 (Swine Flu)

Is there a vaccine for swine flu?
The vaccine for swine flu (H1N1) is now incorporated into the regular flu vaccine. If you get a fl...
How do I know if I have H1N1 flu?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
Most primary care offices now have rapid flu tests in their offices that can tell you if you tes...
Should my child get the nasal spray flu vaccine to avoid swine flu?
Note: A CDC panel concluded in 2016 that FluMist has not been effective in recent years. The panel d...
When should I get the seasonal flu shot and H1N1 vaccine?
You should get the seasonal flu shot as soon as it's available. It will protect against two stra...