What pain reliever should I use for my swine flu symptoms?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Family Practitioner

Over-the-counter pain relieving medications are often used to relieve the fever, aches, and other pain associated with swine flu (H1N1). Adults may use ibuprofen, acetaminophen, naproxen or aspirin, as long as dosage recommendations as directed on the package are followed. Be sure to read any warnings on the packaging as well. Children, however, should not take aspirin as it may be connected to a serious condition known as Reye's syndrome.

The American Academy of Family Physicians recommends ibuprofen, acetaminophen or naproxen to help relieve pain and body aches brought on by swine flu.

Continue Learning about H1N1 (Swine Flu)

Is there a vaccine for swine flu?
Diana MeeksDiana Meeks
The vaccine for swine flu (H1N1) is now incorporated into the regular flu vaccine. If you get a fl...
More Answers
How do I know if I have H1N1 flu?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
Most primary care offices now have rapid flu tests in their offices that can tell you if you tes...
More Answers
Should my child get the nasal spray flu vaccine to avoid swine flu?
Stacy Wiegman, PharmDStacy Wiegman, PharmD
Note: A CDC panel concluded in 2016 that FluMist has not been effective in recent years. The panel d...
More Answers
When should I get the seasonal flu shot and H1N1 vaccine?
Stacy Wiegman, PharmDStacy Wiegman, PharmD
You should get the seasonal flu shot as soon as it's available. It will protect against two stra...
More Answers

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.