Should my child get the nasal spray flu vaccine to avoid swine flu?

Note: A CDC panel concluded in 2016 that FluMist has not been effective in recent years. The panel did not recommend its use for the 2016-2017 flu season. 

If your child is older than 2 years, you can give him the nasal-spray flu vaccine, known as FluMist, which provides the same protection as the seasonal flu shot. One caveat: Children under 5 with a history of wheezing, and kids with asthma, diabetes or any condition that weakens the immune system should not get the nasal spray vaccine. In addition, kids who are taking aspirin shouldn't get FluMist.

Continue Learning about H1N1 (Swine Flu)

Can I get sick after receiving a seasonal flu shot or H1N1 vaccine?
The seasonal flu shot and the H1N1 vaccine are one and the same any year that the H1N1 virus is ...
Who is at risk for complications from the H1N1 flu?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Pregnant women appear to be at risk for serious complications from the H1N1 virus. In addition, peop...
How is swine flu diagnosed?
In many cases, symptoms can be a reliable way to diagnose swine flu (H1N1), especially if there is a...
What are the differences between the H1N1 flu and seasonal flu?
Both of these illnesses are caused by a strain of the influenza virus. While the strains that make u...