Is there a vaccine for swine flu?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

The vaccine for swine flu (H1N1) is now incorporated into the regular flu vaccine. If you get a flu shot, you are vaccinated against swine flu, as well. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends all people 6 months of age or older should get the vaccine annually especially pregnant women, health care workers, children from 6 months to 4 years old, adults 50 or older, caregivers of young children, and people at risk of complications of swine flu.

Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics
Starting in the 2009/10 flu season, there has been a vaccine for the swine flu. In the 2010/11 and 2011/12 flu seasons, swine flu protection was included in the seasonal flu vaccine. As long as it continues to be one of the most prevalent types of influenza in our community, swine flu protection will be included in the seasonal flu vaccine.
There's no single vaccine for swine flu, but the seasonal flu shot will keep you covered. It's formulated to protect against the H1N1 virus that causes swine flu, as well as two seasonal strains—the H3N2 virus, which is an influenza B virus, and the influenza A virus.

Continue Learning about H1N1 (Swine Flu)

Can antibiotics help treat swine flu?
Swine flu (H1N1) and other types of influenza are caused by viruses, so antibiotics do not treat the...
How do antiviral medications treat swine flu?
Some medications treat the symptoms of swine flu (H1N1). For example, decongestants can be used ...
How can I protect my children from swine flu?
Protecting your children is very important. The best way to protect your child against swine flu (H1...
Do I need to get the swine flu vaccine if I have had a seasonal flu shot?
Each year, researchers decide what strains of influenza are most likely to become widespread, an...