How does swine flu spread?

Swine flu (also called H1N1 influenza) is spread the same way seasonal flu is spread. You can catch swine flu by being near someone who is sick with it and who coughs or sneezes. You can also catch swine flu by touching surfaces that the sick person has touched and then touching your nose or mouth.

The best way to protect yourself from swine flu is to get your seasonal flu vaccination. Other precautions you can take include:
  • washing your hands frequently with soap and water
  • using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer when soap and water are not available
  • keeping your hands away from your eyes, mouth, and nose
  • steering clear of anyone who is sick

Continue Learning about H1N1 (Swine Flu)

What are common complications of swine flu?
One common complication of swine flu is pneumonia, a lung infection caused by bacteria or virus. Thi...
How can I protect myself from swine flu?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Aside from a vaccine, protecting against the swine flu is similar to guarding against seasonal flu. ...
Is there a vaccine for swine flu?
The vaccine for swine flu (H1N1) is now incorporated into the regular flu vaccine. If you get a fl...
Should I talk to my doctor about my swine flu symptoms?
If you are not in one of the risk groups, and are experiencing the symptoms of swine flu (H1N1), you...