How long does swine flu last?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

The symptoms of swine flu (H1N1), including fever, chills, cough, and body aches, last about eight days, on average. Some symptoms may continue longer than that. However, most people can go back to school or work 24 hours after their fever goes away completely without using medications that reduce fever.

Symptoms of swine flu (also called H1N1 flu) can last for a week or more. People infected with any kind of flu can infect others one day before they have symptoms and five to seven days after they become sick.

Continue Learning about H1N1 (Swine Flu)

How long will I be contagious if I have the H1N1 flu?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
If you have the H1N1 virus, you are contagious (meaning that you are able to spread the disease) typ...
How effective is the seasonal flu shot and H1N1 vaccine?
Flu shots are about 70 percent effective at preventing the flu in populations under sixty-five years...
What are the differences between the H1N1 flu and seasonal flu?
Both of these illnesses are caused by a strain of the influenza virus. While the strains that make u...
Can antibiotics help treat swine flu?
Swine flu (H1N1) and other types of influenza are caused by viruses, so antibiotics do not treat the...