Can I get swine flu from eating pork?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

You cannot get swine flu from eating pork. Although swine flu viruses cause outbreaks in pigs, few cases are caused by contact with live pigs, and none are caused from eating pork or pork products. H1N1, which was originally referred to as swine flu, is caused by one of the influenza viruses and, like other human influenza viruses, is usually passed from one person to another. It is very contagious, and is spread when an infected person coughs or sneezes, sending the virus into the air, where it is breathed in by someone else. Also, the virus can be present on the hands of an infected person and on objects he or she has touched.

Continue Learning about H1N1 (Swine Flu)

How long am I contagious if I have swine flu?
If you have swine flu (H1N1), you are contagious from about a day before your symptoms begin until y...
What is the best protection against infuenza?
 Influenza usually goes away on its own after about eight days. In some cases, antiviral drugs can...
Do children have different seasonal flu symptoms than adults?
For the most part, children and adults have the same symptoms of the seasonal flu. These include...
What are the treatment options for swine flu?
In most cases, the treatment for swine flu (H1N1 flu) is simple: rest and fluids. This may take seve...